Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chuppah magic.

In my WWW wanderings I came across some very, very industrious Jewish women. One such young woman, Maya, managed to knit a gorgeous chuppah for her wedding with the help of a few friends. She did this while attending graduate school. No easy accomplishment. I asked Maya about her chuppah and this what she said:












"From the moment we got engaged, I knew I wanted to knit our
chuppah. I originally thought I would knit a giant lace
square, but I didn't have enough time to do it, so I
decided to knit it in pieces so friends could help. I chose
a lacy scarf pattern from Interweave Knits magazine and had
two friends help me knit 5 panels. I blocked them all
(stretched them while wet so the lace pattern "set") and
then sewed them all together. Then I threaded ribbon
through the lace in both directions and we tied it up to
the poles, which we also built. You can see more pictures
in my wedding set on flickr and in this blog post.

Look for more handmade chuppot as we enter the wedding season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats next on our list of things to get. The state starts issuing the licenses on the 17th of June.