Saturday, May 24, 2008

Response to Butterflies...

I received this yesterday from one of my readers, an artist in her own right, Ronna Weltman.


Hi Toby. I read this poem years ago as an adolescent. But upon rereading it, as soon as I read the imagery of the yellow butterfly, it struck me that the young writer was surrounded by yellow Stars of David that Jews were required to wear, and I wondered whether the writer also imagined those sad badges turning into butterflies, rejecting and discarding their awful misuse but sadly only after their wearers were no longer alive to wear them. Can you see the stars flying up to the sky, but transformed into butterflies?

Thanks so much for this morning's post -- and all the others.


Can you step into Pavel's shoes and see what he saw?

No comments: