Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ki Tisa

I hate to complain, but life is interfering with blogging. First there is being wife and mom, then we got a new au pair and our old one returns to Peru on Friday (boo hoo). Then there is my job, and my wanna-be job (artist/jewelry maker). So please excuse me for not blogging as frequently as I had.



From this week's Parsha come the words:

17 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 18 Make a laver of copper and a stand of copper for it, for washing; and place it between the Tent of Meeting and the altar. Put water in it, 19 and let Aaron and his sons wash their hands and feet [in water drawn] from it. 20

Handwashing is an important Jewish ritual. And some of my Jewish patients with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder have taken handwashing to a high art... so has Susuan Duhan Felix. Susan has been a serious ceramic artist for the last forty-five years specializing in ritual objects. Her work has been shown at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in New York City, the Craft and Folk Museum in Los Angeles, and the Skirball Museum. I admire this washing cup for being a contemporary design with a very old and worn feel to it.



This week's Parsha is a rich one. Be sure to read it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sheesh, I was wondering where your posts had gone to. I miss them. they educate me and usually make me drool :D