Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Peace through art

Sometimes, as I scan the net (and galleries and art festivals) for work to feature here on JudaicaJournal, I happen upon an artist whose work takes my breath away. This rare visual artist is able to communicate through paper or stone or metal ideas, thoughts and beliefs better than a series of words or phrases. Today, I as I trapsed through the world wide web, I stumbled upon the work of Andi Arnovitz who was born in Kansas City, Missouri in 1959. Forty years later she made Aliyah and it appears that she discovered her personal Muse in Eretz Yisrael.
Andi says of her work shown above and below: The Tehellim Belt series was a series I created in response to the series of violent suicide bombings that occur here in Israel. They were created to be the antithesis of a suicide belt: made of the ultimate Jewish tools: words, paper, string. Composed of dozens of small scrolls printed with Psalms, the belt is at once reminiscent of a belt strung with dynamite, but is in fact a piece created out of hopefulness and prayers for peace.

No comments: