Thursday, November 12, 2009

Can you tell that Chanukah is coming...

I love Chanukah... not because of the presents mind you, but because it is FUN, FUN, FUN!!!! I find this Hanukiah ingenious... BUT it insights flashbacks of December 10, 1982 dormitory fire at Cornell University in low rise #9. In brief let me say it was the first night of Chanukah (my first Chanukah away from home) and there was the unfortunate battle between the flimsy tin Hanukiah sent by my synagogue and my roommates Christmas tree. The Hanukiah won... And I was infamous across campus for a few months.


From Yael Friedman (for owhom I could not locate a website) This delicate pewter-metal blend gold Hanukiyah or Chanukah Menorah presented the neatest little DIY project that just couldn’t go wrong. A one-dimensional page of metal provided cut outs of semi-circles - each with laser cut decorations - that can be slotted together to form a fully functioning eight-plus-one candle holder. The details gave some light and delicacy to the metal material and the adornment was reminiscent of jewelry techniques. And the idea of being able to mail someone a flat DIY Menorah in time for the holidays? Opens a whole new world of holiday card options. Seen here are the separate parts and the metal page from which they are cutout.

No comments: