Monday, December 29, 2008

Every penny counts...

I have been reading some interesting news articles recently about the state of Jewish charitable giving. Given the financial fiasco which resulted from Bernard Madoff's avarice, many Jewish charities are wondering how they will continue to support their respective causes. The answer lies in our pockets- the individual Jew. We need to look back to the days of the little blue Jewish National Fund pushkes (Tzedakah boxes). Lucky for us... we have more choices to go with our taste and decor. I have shown many intricate tzedakah boxes for the years I have been blogging. I love the earthiness of these made by Susan Trowbridge, an Atlanta native. Given what we have learned about greed recently- the simplicity of Susan's pieces calls out loudly to me.

No comments: