Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Art and Remembrance

I was introduced to the art of Esther Nisenthal Krinitz last year by my cousin Corinna Mensoff an artist in her own right.

Mrs. Krinitz is a holocaust survivor who frequently shared her history (and her good cooking) with her beloved daughters but she did not begin illustrating the ordeal until 1977 when she was 50 years old. Mrs. Krinitz turned what was one of the ugliest times in history into a thing of beauty by creating a series of 36 pictures of her life and experiences while in Poland. This exhibit is traveling around the country and currently is in California and will soon be in my area in Atlanta.

Here is one of the linen and thread pieces created by Esther followed by her description.

My Childhood Home

"My childhood home in the village of Mniszek, near the city of Rachow (today Annapol), Poland. I am carrying water up the hill to our house; my sister, Mania, waits for me. My brother Ruven is standing with the wagon. My father and my sister, Chana, are in front of the house, along with my mother, who holds my youngest sister, Leah."


While there are deluded people in the world and especially the mid-east who deny the Holocaust, Yad Vashem reports that it's website receives 20,000 visitors from Muslim countries, including Iran annually. Given that, they are initiating a Farsi version of the website this Saturday on the 62nd anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

2 comments:

Paige Dansinger said...

Please keep on Blogging Judaica!! Check out my blog sometime about Jewish Fine Art and Material Culture...
Paige

Thoufeek Zakriya said...

your work is cute
i am a muslim who does hebrew calligraphy visit my blog

My Calligraphy
http://thoufeekzak.blogspot.com